Northern California Legacy Catalog
This catalog is an archive of scenarios created for Northern California around 2012. The rupture definitions are based on version 2 of the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast (Field and others, 2009).
Ground Motion Models
For magnitudes greater than 5.5 the ground motion parameters are computed using the Boore and Atkinson (2008) model. For magnitudes less than than 5.5 the ground motion parameters are computed using the Boatwright and others (2003) model.
Site response was computed using the Borcherdt (1994) factors along with Vs30 estimated from the Wills and others (2000) map, as modified by the Northern California Seismic System.
This catalog includes ruptures in Northern California.
- Boatwright, J., Bundock, H., Leutgert, J., Seekins, L., Gee, L., Lombard, P. (2003). The Dependence of PGA and PGV on Distance and Magnitude Inferred from Northern California ShakeMap Data, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 93, p. 2043-2055.
- Boore, D.M. and Atkinson, G.M. (2008). Ground-motion prediction equations for the average horizontal component of PGA, PGV, and 5%-damped PSA at spectral periods between 0.01 s and 10.0 s, Earthquake Spectra, v. 24, p. 99-138.
- Borcherdt, R.D. (1994). Estimates of Site-Dependent Response Spectra for Design (Methodology and Justification), Earthquake Spectra, v. 10, p. 617–653.
- Field, E.H., Dawson, T.E., Felzer, K.R., Frankel, A.D., Gupta, V., Jordan, T.H., Parsons, T., Petersen, M.D., Stein, R.S., Weldon, R.J., II, and Wills, C.J. (2009). Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast, Version 2 (UCERF 2), Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 99, p. 2053–2107, doi:10.1785/0120080049.
- Wills, C.J., Petersen, M., Bryant, W.A., Reichle, M., Saucedo, G.J., Tan, S., Taylor, G., and Treiman, J. (2000). A Site-Conditions Map for California Based on Geology and Shear-Wave Velocity, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 90, p. S187–S208.