USGS Publications on Induced Seismicity
- Petersen, M.D., C.S. Mueller, M.P. Moschetti, S.M. Hoover, A.L. Llenos, W.L. Ellsworth, A.J. Michael, J.L. Rubinstein, A.F. McGarr, and K.S. Rukstales (2016), 2016 One-year seismic hazard forecast for the Central and Eastern United States from induced and natural earthquakes, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2016-1035, 52 p., doi:10.3133/ofr20161035.
- Benz, Harley M., McMahon, Nicole D., Aster, Richard C., McNamara, Daniel E., and David B. Harris (2015), Hundreds of Earthquakes per Day: The 2014 Guthrie, Oklahoma, Earthquake Sequence, Seismological Research Letters, V 86, Number 5, doi: 10.1785/0220150019.
- Catchings, R.D. et al. (2015), Structure of the Koyna-Warna Seismic Zone, Maharashtra, India: A possible model for large induced earthquakes elsewhere, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 120, doi:10.1002/2014JB011695.
- Ellsworth, William L. et al. (2015), Increasing seismicity in the U. S. midcontinent: Implications for earthquake hazard, The Leading Edge 34, 6(2015); pp. 618-626 doi: 10.1190/tle34060618.1.
- Hauksson et al. (2015), A century of oil-field operations and earthquakes in the greater Los Angeles Basin, southern California, The Leading Edge 34, 6(2015); pp. 650-656 doi 10.1190/tle34060650.1.
- Hornbach, Matthew J. et al. (2015), Causal factors for seismicity near Azle, Texas, Nature Communications, doi: 10.1038/ncomms7728.
- Hough, S.E. and M. Page (2015), The Petroleum Geologist and the Insurance Policy, Seismological Research Letters, 87:1, 171-176, doi:10.1785/0220150218.
- Hough, S.E., and M. Page (2015), A Century of Induced Earthquakes in Oklahoma?, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 105, No. 6, doi: 10.1785/0120150109.
- Hough, Susan E. (2015), Shaking intensity from injection-induced versus tectonic earthquakes in the central-eastern United States, The Leading Edge 34, 6(2015); pp. 690-697 doi: 10.1190/tle34060690.1.
- Kaven, J.O. et al., (2015), Surface Monitoring of Microseismicity at the Decatur, Illinois, CO2 Sequestration Demonstration Site, Seismological Research Letters Volume 86, Number 4 July/August 2015, doi: 10.1785/0220150062.
- M. Schoenball, N.C. Davatzes, J.M.G. Glen (2015), Differentiating induced and natural seismicity using space-time-magnitude statistics applied to the Coso Geothermal Field, Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 6221-6228, doi:10.1002/2015GL064772.
- McGarr, A. et al. (2015), Coping with earthquakes induced by fluid injection, Science, 347, 830-810, doi: 10.1126/science.aaa0494.
- McGuire, J. J. et al. (2015), Relationships among seismic velocity, metamorphism, and seismic and aseismic fault slip in the Salton Sea Geothermal Field region, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 120, 2600-2615, doi:10.1002/ 2014JB011579.
- McNamara, D. E. et al. (2015), Efforts to monitor and characterize the recent increasing seismicity in central Oklahoma, The Leading Edge 34, 6(2015); pp. 628-639, doi: 10.1190/tle34060628.1.
- McNamara, D. E., G. P. Hayes, H. M. Benz, R. A. Williams, N. D. McMahon, R. C. Aster, A. Holland, T. Sickbert, R. Herrmann, R. Briggs, G. Smoczyk, E. Bergman, and P. Earle (2015), Reactivated faulting near Cushing, Oklahoma: Increased potential for a triggered earthquake in an area of United States strategic infrastructure, Geophys. Res. Lett., 42, doi:10.1002/2015GL064669.
- McNamara, D. E., H. M. Benz, R. B. Herrmann, E. A. Bergman, P. Earle, A. Holland, R. Baldwin, and A. Gassner (2015), Earthquake hypocenters and focal mechanisms in central Oklahoma reveal a complex system of reactivated subsurface strikeslip faulting, Geophysical Research Letters, http://dx.doi. org/10.1002/2014GL062730.
- Petersen, M. D. et al. (2015), Incorporating Induced Seismicity in the 2014 United States National Seismic Hazards Models: Workshop and Sensitivity Studies, U. S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2015-1070.
- Rubinstein, J.L. and Mahani, A. B (2015), Myths and Facts on Wastewater Injection, Hydraulic Fracturing, Enhanced Oil Recovery, and Induced Seismicity, Seismological Research Letters Volume 86, Number 4 July/August 2015, doi: 10.1785/0220150067.
- Weingarten, M., et al. (2015), High-rate injection is associated with the increase in U.S. mid-continent seismicity, Science, 348(6241), pp 1336-1340.
- Barbour, A. J., and F. K. Wyatt (2014), Modeling strain and pore pressure associated with fluid extraction: The Pathfinder Ranch experiment, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 119(6), 5254-5273.
- Barnhart, W. et al. (2014), Seismological and geodetic constraints on the 2011 Mw5.3 Trinidad, Colorado earthquake and induced deformation in the Raton Basin, J. Geophys. Res., 119, doi:10.1002/2014JB011227.
- Dixit, M.M. et al. (2014), Seismicity, faulting, and structure of the Koyna-Warna seismic region, Western India from local earthquake tomography and hypocenter locations, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 119, 6372-6398, doi: 10.1002/2014JB010950.
- Frohlich, C. et al. (2014), The 17 May 2012 M4. 8 earthquake near Timpson, East Texas: An event possibly triggered by fluid injection, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 119(1), 581-593.
- Gupta, H. et al. (2014), Probing reservoir-triggered earthquakes near Koyna, India, through scientific deep drilling, Scientific Drilling, v. 18, p. 5-9, doi:10.5194/sd-18-5-2014.
- Hough, S.E. (2014), Shaking from injection-induced earthquakes in the central and eastern United States, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 104:5, 2619-2626, doi:10.1785/0120140099.
- Kaven, J. O. et al. (2014), Seismic monitoring at the Decatur, IL, CO2 sequestration demonstration site, Energy Procedia, v. 63, p. 4264-4272, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.461.
- Keranen, K. M., M. Weingarten, G. A. Abers, B. A. Bekins, S. Ge (2014), Sharp increase in central Oklahoma seismicity since 2008 induced by massive wastewater injection, Science, 25 July 2014: Vol. 345 no. 6195, pp. 448-451, doi: 10.1126/science.1255802.
- McGarr, A. (2014), Maximum magnitude earthquakes induced by fluid injection, Journal of Geophysical Research, DOI: 10.1002/2013JB010597.
- Rubinstein, J. L. et al. (2014), The 2001–Present Induced Earthquake Sequence in the Raton Basin of Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 104(5), 2162-2181, doi:10.1785/0120140009..
- Sumy, D.F. et al. (2014), Observations of static Coulomb stress triggering of the November 2011 M5.7 Oklahoma earthquake sequence, J. Geophys. Res., 119, doi:10.1002/2013JB010612.
- Ellsworth, W.L. (2013), Injection-induced earthquakes, Science, 341, doi:10.1126/science.1225942.
- Keranen, K.M. et al. (2013), Potentially induced earthquakes in Oklahoma, USA: Links between wastewater injection and the 2011 Mw 5.7 earthquake sequence, Geology, doi: 10.1130/G34045.1.
- Llenos, A.L. and A.J. Michael (2013), Modeling earthquake rate changes in Oklahoma and Arkansas: Possible signatures of induced seismicity, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 2013, p 2850-2861, doi: 10.1785/0120130017.
- McGarr, A. et al. (2002), 40 Case histories of induced and triggered seismicity, International Geophysics, 81A, 647-661.
- Meremonte, M. et al. (2002), Investigation of an Earthquake Swarm near Trinidad, Colorado, August-October 2001, US Geological Survey Open File Report 02-0073.