How Big and How Frequent Are Earthquakes on the Wasatch Fault?
A team of scientists have been gathering data from new paleoseismic trenches along the Wasatch fault zone. These new datasets will help researchers to understand if past surface-rupturing earthquakes have spanned fault segment boundaries. They are also analyzing new high-resolution airborne LiDAR topographic data to characterize previously unmapped fault traces and to measure how vertical displacements (vertical offset of the ground surface from faulting) vary, both in space (from north to south) and time (the last 20,000 years).
Instrument & Data Quality Research
USGS scientists are conducting research in a number of areas to help improve instrumentation and data quality. These improvements ultimately result in more precisely-located earthquakes and better science.
An increase in earthquakes in the central and eastern US prompts two important questions: Are they natural, or man-made? What should be done in the future as we address the causes and consequences of these events to reduce associated risks?
- How Big and How Frequent Are Earthquakes on the Wasatch Fault?
- Rupture Directions for Selected California Earthquakes
- Central US Seismic Velocity Model
- East Bay Seismic Experiment
- The Effects of Basins, Topography, and Fault Zones on Seismic Waves: San Francisco Bay Area Portable Seismograph Deployments
- The Salton Seismic Imaging Project
- Site Response in the Northern San Francisco Bay Area, California
The USGS invites research proposals that will assist in achieving the goals of the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NERHP).
Regional Science Activities
Science Centers and Field Offices offer activities for the general public and scientists, including public lectures, workshops, and open houses.
- Alaska Science Center, Anchorage, AK
- Seattle Field Office, Seattle, WA
- Earthquake Science Center, Menlo Park, CA
- Pasadena Field Office, Pasadena, CA
- Geologic Hazards Science Center, Golden, CA
Software programs that are available for download.