Earthquake Topics - Intensity
- USGSA Comparison of Two Bay Area Earthquakes: 1989 v. 1906
Investigate the shaking intensity and magnitude of these two earthquakes.
- University of WashingtonAbout Earthquakes
basics about earthquakes
- USGSChile M7.0 January 12, 2010 and M8.8 February 27, 2010 Educational Slides
Details on the rupture of the two earthquakes, the shaking distribution, aftershock zone, estimated fatality numbers, and comparisons between the two.
- USGSDarfield, New Zealand Earthquake (09/03/2010) and its Aftershocks, Including the 02/21/2011 Christchurch Event Educational Slides
Educational slideset for the 09/03/2010 Darfield, New Zealand Earthquake and its Aftershocks, Including the 02/21/2011 Christchurch Event.
- Purdue Univ.Earth Science Education Activities
a wealth of excellent hands-on activities for teaching about earthquakes, volcanoes, seismic waves, plate tectonics, earth structure, seismic waves, convection, seismometers and more!
- British Geological SurveyEarthquakes
Information on the basics of earthquakes.
- DLESELiving in Earthquake Country: A Teaching Box
7 lessons with the goal of teaching students about how and why earthquakes cause damage. Explores seismic waves, the ability of scientists to predict the likelihood and severity of earthquakes at specific locations, the difference between magnitude and intensity, the occurrence of earthquakes along patches of planar faults, and the potential damage caused by earthquakes such as landslides, liquefaction, or structural failure.
- USGSMagnitude versus Intensity Lesson (PDF)
classroom lesson to teach the difference between earthquake magnitude and earthquake intensities
- USGSMeasuring the Size of an Earthquake
How the size of an earthquake is measured.
- USGSModified Mercalli Intensity Scale, The
A description of the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale.
- USGSSeverity of an Earthquake, The
measuring earthquakes, online USGS general interest publication
- USGSTohoku, Japan 2011 M9.0 Educational Slides
Educational slides for the 2011 Tohoku,Japan M9.0 Earthquake.