Earthquake Topics - Surface features - Faults, Earthquakes
- About GeologyCalifornia Subduction Rocks
A photographic field trip to classic subduction-related rocks across northern California.
- USGSCreep Evidence of Active Faulting
Information about creep on faults, and specifically the Hayward fault.
- USGSEarthquake 101 Powerpoint Slideshow Download
PDF format of a complete PowerPoint show for the basics (Zip file)
- USGSEQs on the Surface (PDF)
use topo maps, seismicity maps, and fault maps to understand the connection between the surface features, locations of EQs and mapped faults
- USGSNew Madrid Seismic Zone
A collection of information about the region, the historical seismicity, and the hazards.
- Southern California Earthquake Center (SCEC)SCEC Communication, Education and Outreach
Many excellent resources for Public Education and Preparedness, K-14 Earthquake Education, and Experiential Learning and Career Advancement. Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country downloadable booklets for learning about earthquake hazards and safety recommendations in many different languages and for many different areas of the United States.
- USGSSchoolyard Geology
Online lesson plans with photos and images. Excellent geologic activities you can do anywhere! Education standards info included.
- Paleontological Research InstitutionTransforming California: Landforms of the San Andreas Fault
PowerPoint presentation of digital images (60.7 Mb) exploring the landforms found along the San Andreas Fault. Designed for classroom use with a complementing narrative for each slide. One of the many Earthtrip Virtual Field Trips to explore.
- The Why FilesUnderstanding Quakes
description, photos, and graphics of earthquake basics and effects of earthquakes in Turkey