Earthquake Topics - Shaking
- Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER)Building a Shake Table
discussion and lesson plans
- USGSDarfield, New Zealand Earthquake (09/03/2010) and its Aftershocks, Including the 02/21/2011 Christchurch Event
Educational slideset for the 09/03/2010 Darfield, New Zealand Earthquake and its Aftershocks, Including the 02/21/2011 Christchurch Event (Download PDF)
- TASA Graphic ArtsDigital Online Geology - Earthquakes
Online version of "Earthquakes" by Edward
J. Tarbuck, Frederick K. Lutgens, and Dennis Tasa. This informative chapter about earthquakes has images, text, quizzes, and narrated animations explaining what happens when earthquakes occur.
- Purdue Univ.Earth Science Education Activities
a wealth of excellent hands-on activities for teaching about earthquakes, volcanoes, seismic waves, plate tectonics, earth structure, seismic waves, convection, seismometers and more!
- Univ. of Nevada, RenoEarthquake Effects in Kobe, Japan
discussion and lots of photos and images of the effects of the Kobe, Japan earthquake
- BerkeleyEarthquake Videos and Animations
a wide variety of videos created by the Berkeley outreach team, which include earthquake simulations, earthquake safety videos, and presentations by their seismologists
- USGSEarthquakes, MegaQuakes, and the Movies
discussion about facts versus fantasies
- USGSEducational slides for the M7.0 January 12, 2010 and M8.8 February 27, 2010 Chile earthquakes
Details on the rupture of the two earthquakes, the shaking distribution, aftershock zone, estimated fatality numbers, and comparisons between the two.Slides with notes
- USGSHazards 101, Earthquake
The basics of how the USGS National Earthquake Hazard Maps are made.
- USGSHigh Quality Earthquake Animations
Simulations of earthquake ruptures that were run on the supercomputers at Caltech's Center for Advanced Computing Research
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)Shakes & Quakes
Legos and earthquakes
- USGSThe Parkfield, California Earthquake Experiment
Information about past earthquakes and current monitoring efforts.