Java Ground Motion Parameter Calculator
Information About the Application
This application produces seismic hazard curves, uniform hazard response spectra, and seismic design values for sites in the 50 states of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Seismic design values are also available for Guam and American Samoa. Values provided by this application are based upon data from the 2002 (and 1996) USGS National Seismic Hazard Mapping Project. These design parameters are for use with the 2009 (same as 2006) International Building Code, the 2005 ASCE-7 Standard, the 2003 NEHRP Recommended Provisions, and their respective predecessors. Parameters are searchable by zip code or latitude and longitude, and can be graphed, saved, and printed for later use.
This application should be used to calculate seismic design values from the aforementioned building code specifications. To calculate design values from imminent model building codes, please use our U.S. Seismic “Design Maps” Web Application.
*Seismic design values outputted by this application are from the 2009/2006/2003/2000 International Building Code, the 2005/2002/1998 ASCE-7 Standard, and the 2003/2000/1997 NEHRP Recommended Provisions.
Available Ground Motion Parameters
- USGS Probabilistic Hazard Curves (1996 and 2002 for the 48 conterminous states, 1998 Alaska, 1998 Hawaii, 2003 for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands)
- USGS Uniform Hazard response Spectra Curves (1996 and 2002 for the 48 conterminous states, 1998 Alaska, 1998 Hawaii, 2003 for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands)
- NEHRP Recommended Provisions for Seismic Regulations for New Buildings and Other Structures (1997, 2000, and 2003 editions)
- ASCE 7 Standard, Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (1998, 2002, and 2005 editions)
- International Building Code (2000, 2003, and 2006 editions)
- International Residential Code (2000, 2003, 2004 supplement, and 2006 editions)
- NFPA 5000 Building Construction and Safety Code (2003 and 2006 editions)
Download ApplicationVersion 5.1.0 (6.5Mb)
Note: The Ground Motion Parameter Calculator is a Java(TM) Application . This application also requires an active internet connection to retrieve data from our servers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to common problems.
Underlying Data Files
ASCII and binary files of the seismic design and hazard data that underly this application are available.
Related seismic hazard maps are available, along with reference seismic design maps from the following building codes: