Magnitude 6.9 - NIAS REGION, INDONESIA
2005 May 19 01:54:52 UTC
- This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
|Depth||30 km (18.6 miles) set by location program|
|Region||NIAS REGION, INDONESIA|
205 km (125 miles) W of Sibolga, Sumatra, Indonesia
260 km (160 miles) SW of Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia
540 km (335 miles) WSW of KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
1410 km (870 miles) NW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia
|Location Uncertainty||horizontal +/- 4.8 km (3.0 miles); depth fixed by location program|
|Parameters||NST=242, Nph=242, Dmin=548.2 km, Rmss=0.84 sec, Gp= 25°,|
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=R
- Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.
Felt (IV) at Meulaboh and Sibolga; (III) at Banda Aceh, Sumatra. Felt at Medan, Sumatra. Felt (II) at Gelugor, Malaysia. Also felt at Bukit Mertajam, George Town, Kuala Lumpur, Sungai Ara and Tanjong Tokong, Malaysia.
Scientific & Technical Information
The earthquake locations and magnitudes cited in NOAA tsunami statements and bulletins are preliminary and are superseded by USGS locations and magnitudes computed using more extensive data sets.
NOAA Tsunami Bulletins for this Earthquake
- West Coast & Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
- Recent Tsunamis
The earthquake locations and magnitudes cited in these bulletins are very preliminary, and may disagree with the more accurate USGS locations and magnitudes computed using more extensive data sets.
General Tsunami Information
- Preliminary Earthquake Report
- U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver