Magnitude 6.8 - NIAS REGION, INDONESIA
2005 May 14 05:05:18 UTC
- This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
|Depth||34 km (21.1 miles) set by location program|
|Region||NIAS REGION, INDONESIA|
130 km (80 miles) SSW of Sibolga, Sumatra, Indonesia
275 km (170 miles) NW of Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia
460 km (285 miles) SW of KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
1185 km (740 miles) NW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia
|Location Uncertainty||horizontal +/- 5.6 km (3.5 miles); depth fixed by location program|
|Parameters||NST=266, Nph=266, Dmin=659.4 km, Rmss=1.1 sec, Gp= 22°,|
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=R
- Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.
Felt (V) at Padang and Sibolga; (III) at Palembang and Pekanbaru, Sumatra. Felt (III) in Malaysia. Felt on Nias and in Singapore.
Scientific & Technical Information
The earthquake locations and magnitudes cited in NOAA tsunami statements and bulletins are preliminary and are superseded by USGS locations and magnitudes computed using more extensive data sets.
NOAA Tsunami Bulletins for this Earthquake
No Bulletins have been issued at this time.
General Tsunami Information
- News Release
- Strong quake hits Sumatra
- West Coast & Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
- Recent Tsunamis
The earthquake locations and magnitudes cited in these bulletins are very preliminary, and may disagree with the more accurate USGS locations and magnitudes computed using more extensive data sets.
- Preliminary Earthquake Report
- U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver